Two dead as UN peacekeepers open fire in eastern DR Congo



Two people were killed and several others injured after peacekeepers opened fire in an incident in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo on the Ugandan border on Sunday, the UN said.

Video of the incident, shared on social media, shows men, at least one in police uniform and another in army uniform, advancing towards the immobilized UN convoy behind a closed barrier in Kasindi.

The city is in the territory of Beni, in the east of the DR Congo, on the border with Uganda.

After a verbal exchange, peacekeepers appeared to open fire before opening the gate, rolling and continuing to fire as people dispersed or hid.

“During this incident, soldiers from the MONUSCO force intervention brigade returning from leave opened fire on the border post for unexplained reasons and forced their way through,” the mission said. UN in Kasindi in a statement.

“This serious incident resulted in deaths and serious injuries.”

Barthelemy Kambale Siva, the North Kivu governor’s representative in Kasindi, had earlier said that “eight people, including two policemen who were working at the barrier, were seriously injured” in the incident.

Deadly region

Kambale Siva, interviewed by AFP, gave no reason why the UN convoy was prevented from crossing the barrier.

More than 120 militias operate in the troubled east of the DRC. The UN first deployed an observer mission to the region in 1999.

In 2010, it became the peacekeeping mission MONUSCO – United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo – with a mandate to carry out offensive operations.

There were 230 deaths among them, according to the UN.

Last week, deadly demonstrations demanding the departure of the United Nations took place in several towns in eastern DRC.

A total of 19 people, including three blue helmets, were killed.

The anger has been fueled by the feeling that MONUSCO is not doing enough to stop attacks by armed groups.

UN Under-Secretary-General for Peace Operations Jean-Pierre Lacroix was in the central African country on Saturday to “talk to the Congolese authorities”, he said.

“(They would consider) ways in which we can both prevent these tragic incidents from happening again and, most importantly, work better together to achieve our goals,” he said.

“We hope that the conditions will be met, in particular the return of State authority, so that MONUSCO can complete its mission as soon as possible. And to leave room for other forms of international support.