The Russian government has published a list of 41 Australian journalists, defense lobbyists and local council members banned from entering the country.
On Friday evening, the Russian Foreign Ministry released the blacklist in what it said was a response to the Australian government’s “politically motivated sanctions” against Russian individuals.
Among them is SBS chief international correspondent Ben Lewis, who has covered Russia’s invasion of Ukraine since tensions began to rise this year.
SBS News chief international correspondent Ben Lewis has been named to a new list of people sanctioned by the Russian government following his coverage of the war in Ukraine. Source: SBS News
“Australians from the military-industrial complex contractors, journalists and city MPs who shape the anti-Russian agenda in this country are being denied entry to our country indefinitely,” the Foreign Office said in a statement. a statement.
Mr Lewis, who is currently in London, said he was surprised it had taken so long to be added to the sanctions list.
“Beautiful day to be sanctioned by the Russian government, for our coverage of their invasion of Ukraine,” he wrote on Twitter.
Other journalists from ABC, Nine News, Seven News, Ten News, Sky News and The Australian were also on the list, along with several academics.
Executives from military contractor companies Thales Australia, DroneShield and BAE Systems were also on the list.
Woollahra’s advisers, Luise Elsing and Matthew Robertson, were also named.
Woollahra Council in Sydney’s east proposed earlier this year renaming the street where the Russian consulate is located – Fullerton Street – as “Ukraine Street”. The council backtracked in June, acknowledging “strong opposition from residents” on the street.
Friday’s sanctions are in addition to .
These included businessmen, army officials, academics and journalists.
Australia won’t ban Russian tourists in response to Ukrainian invasions
The announcement came as Acting Prime Minister Richard Marles ruled out Australia banning Russian tourists in response to their country’s invasion of Ukraine.
Mr Marles, who is also defense minister, said Australia’s aim was to “strengthen” Ukraine so that it could be at the “centre” of ending the conflict.
“This must be resolved on [Kyiv’s] terms, that must be the outcome given the unprovoked aggression we’ve seen from Russia,” he told the ABC on Sunday.
Asked if Australia would ban Russian tourists from entering the country, Mr Marles said the sanctions were not aimed at the people themselves.
“It’s not something we are considering at the moment, but we are really part of the global basis for sanctions against the Russian regime,” he said.
Mr Marles also said Moscow’s aggression ‘cannot be allowed’ when asked if Australia would support Ukraine in its efforts to retake Crimea from Russia after the peninsula was annexed in 2014.
Asked if Australia would provide more military support to Ukraine amid calls for more aid to help the country consolidate its gains against Russia, Marles said the government would have a “ongoing conversation” on how to proceed.
He said there was no “delay” in committed military support to Ukraine – including Bushmasters and armored vehicles – with the program “on schedule”.
When asked why the government had not reopened the Australian Embassy in Ukraine when around 60 other countries had, Mr Marles said this was being worked on, with plans logistical and security issues.
With the AAP