Houston shooting: Dennis Gigetts killed while protecting pregnant girlfriend; survived a separate shooting a year ago

HOUSTON, TX (KTRK) — The man who was fatally shot in Southeast Houston on Thursday morning while telling his pregnant girlfriend to run away survived a shooting a year ago.

Family members identify the victim as 28-year-old Dennis Gigetts.

Houston police were called to a shooting around 1:35 a.m. on Broadway near Hobby Airport and found a man dead from a gunshot wound. He was lying in the parking lot.

“We weren’t bothering anyone. We were just going to the store,” said Tanella Moore, Gigetts’ girlfriend, who is pregnant.

She said a group of people in the parking lot started antagonizing them as they drove home. Hallmarked Gigetts glass. Others joined. I shouted a warning.

“‘Baby, run! Baby, run!’ So that’s what I did,” Moore said.

Moore fled. Gigetts was shot and killed. No one has been arrested or charged.

On Thursday evening at her grandmother’s house, her mother Felicia Gigetts clung to her 10-year-old daughter and recalled a year ago this month when her son was shot dead after responding to the door to his apartment on the other side of town.

She said the case was unsolved. This is the context of how she feels about her son’s murder case now. HPD leader Troy Finner often contacts families of victims. Thursday, I called Gigetts.

“I made sure they would find the people,” she said. “But that doesn’t comfort me. My son is just another dead young black man. They’re not going to fix this and that’s how I feel.”

And so she said she was leaving it to God. The family asks for prayers. Moore is already thinking about the stories she will tell their unborn baby.

“Only the good. Their dad was a hero. He was a fighter. He was strong,” Moore said.

Houston police are asking anyone with information to come forward and call the Homicide Unit at 713-308-3600.

Félicia has set up a gofundme page to help raise funds to cover the costs of Dennis’ funeral.

Copyright © 2022 KTRK-TV. All rights reserved.