The incident at the Congo-Uganda border post at Kasindi, in the troubled east of the country, is the latest involving the peacekeeping mission in Congo, known as MONUSCO, which has come under pressure from several days of protests.
It is not known why the soldiers opened fire.
“This serious incident has resulted in deaths and serious injuries,” said Bintou Keita, special representative of the UN secretary general in Congo, in a press release.
Keita and the Congolese government said an investigation had been opened and the suspected perpetrators had been arrested.
“Faced with this unspeakable and irresponsible behavior, the perpetrators of the shooting have been identified and arrested pending the conclusions of the investigation which has already begun in collaboration with the Congolese authorities,” Keita said.
She added that contact had been made with the soldiers’ country of origin so that legal action could be taken as a matter of urgency. She did not name the country.
The Congolese government said in a statement that an interim investigation showed two Congolese were killed and 15 others injured.
“The government, in collaboration with MONUSCO, has launched an investigation to find out the reasons for this crime and to obtain severe sanctions,” government spokesman Patrick Muyaya said in the statement.
He said the peacekeepers involved in the incident would no longer be part of MONUSCO contingents pending the outcome of a plan to withdraw the entire force from the Democratic Republic of Congo.
MONUSCO took over from a previous UN operation in 2010. MONUSCO had more than 12,000 troops and 1,600 police deployed in November 2021, and has been phasing out for years.
Since the protests began last Monday, at least 20 people, including three peacekeepers, have been killed.
The protests have been spurred by complaints that the mission has failed to protect civilians from the militia violence that has raged for years in the region.